I have a scenario from SharePoint MSDN Forum, which states,
If I have an item Title named ‘Kumar’ and I am going to create a new item with Title named ‘Kumar. I need to delete the old item.
Note: In following example I have renamed the Title Display Name to ‘Names’
Here I am using SharePoint Designer workflow to achieve this by following way,
- I have to get the old List Item,
- Then compare the current (new item) with the old item
- And the Old Does not have the Current Item Id
- If above two steps are true, then delete the old item.
I have elaborated the above steps with the following activities,
- Create a List Workflow and associate to a List and Set the Start Option as “Start Workflow automatically when an item is created”
- In workflow step, First we have to create a workflow variable to get the item id which matches value entered in Current Item.
- Using “Set Workflow Variable” activity we are getting that Item id. Add the parameters as shown below. And name the workflow variable as ‘OldItemId’
- In the above figure I am getting the Item ID from the last item which matches the same vale for the Names field.
- For the following 2 steps, we have to If Current Item field equals value condition activity.
- Now we have to compare the Current Item value against the item returned by ‘OldItemId’
- Then we have to compare the ‘OldItemId’ not same as Current Item Id.
- The Use the Delete Item activity to delete the item based on ‘OlditemId’
Now the duplicate was item added with a same value will delete the old item.